Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Fine Print

Scan the fine print. Odds of winning are 1:30,000. Do I scratch? Why not. Scratch (1) scratch (1) scratch (7) scratch (8) scratch (6) Heart is in my throat now and I have forgotten to breathe. Scratch ( 5). I check the numbers again. My husband checks the numbers. Even my daughter checks the numbers. We can't believe it! We won!! Now all we have to do is wait for Tuesday and head over to the dealership to claim our prize.
We're getting a new car today. Not a day too early either. My husband's current car has severe personality issues. Or is it that it wants to be in control? Don't touch the gas and you are speeding down the road going 80 miles an hour, give it a little gas (although if you are already going 80 I am not sure why you would want to) and it dies. We find a dealer and hand him the key and the matching numbers. This is what we hear, "Congratulations! Step right over here, we have a few papers for you to sign and then the car is beep, beep, beep, beep" The car-door-is-open buzzer starts beeping and I am startled out of my daydream. Here's how the conversation REALLY went. "You have won a free MP4 player but we are out of the coupons you need to send off for it. You can come back tomorrow and get the coupon. Be sure to include a $15 payment when you mail the card in." Yep. We got rooked. Somewhere in all of that fine print it said that the de la Rosa family absolutely and unequivocally will not win this car!

No comments:

Post a Comment